Monday, October 24, 2016

A Quick Review


A lovely husband and wife, Rich and Cherry Smith, came down for a survey trip to Costa Rica. They are looking to join our team and spent several days with us. Please pray for the Smiths as they look to God for guidance.


Jon and Joni started hosting a Spanish Bible study in their home on Monday nights. We are currently studying the different roles of men and women. Since the Bible study is entirely in Spanish this is excellent language practice for me.

Our last Krav Maga class
Fernando and I pretending to be the bad guys riding a moto.
Last week I started to study for an ESL (English as a Second Language) class I will teach out in the country. Pastor Edgardo would like to start ESL classes for children (and their parents) as a ministry outreach in his community. I'll teach on Saturday for about two hours; since it is a large amount of time I plan to play lots of games. This is an exciting opportunity!

We went to the beach last Monday; it was a beautiful day
In additional to ESL, I have been studying Ruth and 1 & 2 Peter for different Bible studies. In 1 & 2 Peter, Peter talks a lot about suffering, in 1 Peter 2:21 he says "For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps." Thus, as Christians we can expect suffering and count it an honor when we do. Then in Ruth, we learn that she left her father, mother and homeland to live with a people she did not know. Ruth left everything she knew following her mother-in-law to a culture where she would be among the poorest. During some of my loneliest and hardest moments, I find encouragement in Ruth's life and strength in the words of Apostle Peter. I am very thankful for all that God is teaching me.

We stopped at Rio Tarcoles, a bridge known for crocodiles. We saw about 20! It was scary and super cool!

Praises:
Studying Ruth, 1 & 2 Peter
The Spanish Bible study on Monday
ESL opportunity
Making new friends (on Saturday and Sunday I met two sweet young ladies around my age. Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time with them soon).

Prayer:
ESL - that I will be able to reach the children where they are while still being able to challenge them in English, that I will have enough material for two hours and that they will be receptive to hearing God's word
For grace to love and encourage others when things are hard
For me to love and grow in God's word

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Pastor Edguardo's plan for an ESL class sounds great - so does everything else you mentioned :) God bless you, Bekah! 2 Timothy 2:15

    ReplyDelete